Saturday, October 8, 2022

Noun Clauses

 Noun Clauses

We use "NOUN CLAUSES" for giving information about something. A noun clause is introduced by the word "THAT", a noun cluse it's a sentence inside another sentence.



Structure:

Subject + Verb + Complement + THAT + Subject + Verb + Complement.

Noun clauses often follow these verbs and adjecives:

Agree           Hear                                        Disappointed
Think           See                                           Happy
Believe       Understand                            Sad
Feel             Hope                                        Sorry
Suppose     Forget                                     Sure
Doubt          Remember                            Surprised
Guess          Know

Examples:
  1. I didn't know THAT he wrote this book.
  2. I think THAT Junot Diaz's novels are fantastic.
  3. Did you forget THAT her biography was 500 pages long? 
When we speak or when the noun clause functions as a direct object, the word "THAT" may be omitted.

Examples:
  1. I didn't know he wrote this book.
  2. I think Junot Diaz's novels are fantastic.
  3. Did you forget her biography was 500 pages long?
When we use short answers, we can use "SO" to replace a noun clause after the verbs THINK, BELIEVE, GUESS and HOPE.
Examples:

A: Does Stephen King have a new book out?
B: I THINK SO/ I BELIEVE SO/ I GUESS SO/ I HOPE SO.

(SO = I THINK Stephen King have a new book out)

Note: "SO" is only used for affirmative in all the verbs, but in negative we use: 
I DON'T THINK SO/ I DON'T BELIEVE SO/ I GUESS NOT/ I HOPE NOT
(I don't guess so/ I don't hope so

Finally, a noun clause can also be an adjective complement.

Examples:
  1. It's interesting (THAT) she wrote a new book.
  2. I'm surprised (THAT) he hasn't written a new novel yet.
At speaking, the stress in the sentence is pronunced in the verb.

There's a lot of words that can be used as a NOUN CLAUSE:



MGMS 🌈🌸🌸🌸

No comments:

Post a Comment

Usagi HATES english...

Usagi HATES english...