Friday, October 28, 2022

Indirect Speech: Imperative

 Indirect Speech: Imperative 

Sub-topics: Direct Speech

We use indirect speech to report what someone said without quoting the exact words. It applies mostly to orders. Don't use quotation marks when you write indirect speech.

Structure: 

Affirmative: Order + Infinive verb + Complement.

Negative: Order + Not + Infinitive verb + Complement.

An imperative in direct speech becomes an infinitive in indirect speech.

Example:

  • Direct Speech: Peter said, "Be careful if you go out during the storm" / My mom said, "Use an umbrella"

  • Indirect Speech: Peter said to be careful to go out during the storm. / My mom said to use an umbrella.
They said, "Read the weather report" / They said to read the weather report.

She says, "Don't go out without a full tank of gas" / She says not to go out without a full tank of gas.

Change the pronouns in indirect speech as necessary for logic:

Martin said, "Tell me as soon as you know" / Martin told me to tell him as soon as I know.

She told me, "Please call me when you get home" / She told me to call her when I get home.




MGMS 🌈🌸🌸🌸


No comments:

Post a Comment

Usagi HATES english...

Usagi HATES english...